Monday, August 31, 2009

Update.

The meeting with the Oncologist today was alright.  We got the protein results back and they were all negative.  This is good and bad at the same time.  If any of them would have come back positive they would have had a better target to attack.  On the other hand it is good because that means that it does not have any "turbo chargers" that may be making it more aggressive.  We did not get the BRCA genetic test back yet, but we did talk about the form of attack, which we could do even though we don't have those results back.  We had the choice to do Chemo first or do surgery.  We are choosing to do Chemo first and this is why.  By doing the chemo first we can determine if this form of medicine is going to work against the cancer by shrinking the mass.  The other plus of doing chemo first we can stop the cancer from spreading, if by chance anything has gotten out that the PETscan did not show.  So the process that will be happening will be 3 treatments of chemo (which is 1 treatment every 3 weeks), so this will take about 9 weeks.  At about the 10-11 weeks we then can do the surgery and then after I heal from the surgery (which we don't know what type yet, not until the BRCA test comes back) we will finish the last 3 treatments (another 1 treatment every 3 weeks).    

We both feel that this is the best thing to do.  I honestly can say that I really wanted to have the surgery first, just cause I don't like feeling the mass, but after talking to the doctor and Kevin, I have realized that the best thing is to keep this cancer from the possibility of spreading.  The Oncologist is hoping to start this on Thursday.  That would mean that I will have to go have surgery to have the port a cath put in (which is an in & out procedure) and maybe even get the first dose of treatment that same day.  I should now for sure tomorrow when we will get this started.

For everyone who may be wondering how I am doing, I am scared.  I am scared of all the changes that will be happening, I am scared on how this is going to affect our kids and I am scared of the unknown.  This has really been hard for me, especially these last few days.  In the beginning we have been in & out of the doctors and this last week we have been able to actually comprehend what is going on and it has hit me.  It is hard to explain but the one thing that I will never forget is that I am not alone. I have the most amazing heavenly father, the best husband, family, and friends.  I thank you all for your prayers, they have definitly been felt, and for the support that we have been offered.  We love you all.. 

Tanya

5 comments:

  1. I thought of you the other day when I read a devotional passage from "My Utmost For His Highest." Here's what made me think of you and the trial you're going through:

    "Common sense is not faith and faith is not common sense ... can you trust Jesus Christ where your common sense cannot trust Him? ... On the mount it is easy to say, 'Oh, yes I believe God can do it,' but you have to come down into the demon-possessed valley and meet with facts that laugh ironically at the whole of your mount-of-transfiguration belief. ... Faith must be tested ... The test will either prove your faith is right or it will kill it. There is continual testing in the life of faith ... may God keep us in fighting trim! Faith is unutterable trust in God, trust which never dreams that He will not stand by us."

    My prayers for you are that in the testing of your faith, it will be proved true, especially to those around you who don't believe or act on their belief. I will be praying you through this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya, please know that Jason and I are here for you no matter what.

    I know you dont have many friends and family in PA - but you have us!

    prayers are coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "So I pray, Bring me joy, bring me peace. Bring the chance to be free. Bring me anything that brings you glory. And I know they'll be days when this life brings me pain; but if that's what it takes to praise you, Jesus bring the rain!" --Mercy Me

    This song reminded me many, many times of what is true and real.

    I am so, so, so sorry you have to go through this, but Lisa is absolutely right. Your faith is being tested. Yours and ours. We are right here beside you...praying, hoping, crying. It's okay if you're not strong all the time. We, with the help of our dear Lord, will carry you when you need it. Just please don't lose faith.

    You will get through this and look back and be able to see things you can't possibly see right now. Have faith and trust in Him.

    You are so very loved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay Strong! You have an amazing support system in place already. Keep your faith, for God only gives you what you can handle and obviously He thinks that you can handle this with His help.

    I pray for you and your family everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff, Bailey and I are always thinking about you...especially me. You and your family are in our prayers each and every day. I think you are making good decisions regarding the procedures...it has to be hard keeping your head screwed on straight when so much is happening so fast. You are a very strong young woman - you always have been. It's okay to cry and be angry, your family and friends are here to support you through all the trials in life so don't be afraid to lean on us. I know that everything will be okay and if you need me, just say the word and I'll arrange some travel plans.
    Love you,
    Cory

    ReplyDelete